We are expanding our team and there is an amazing opportunity for a top-notch, experienced Communications professional!
What kind of people will succeed at Volta? People who care about entrepreneurs and are passionate about our mission—to help tech companies start, grow and succeed—and work cooperatively with the entire Volta team to build the region’s innovation district. We want folks who think big but are also ready to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty. Every day at Volta is different. We need people that are comfortable working in an environment where change is the status quo. Think you have what it takes?
What you’ll be achieving as Communications Director at Volta:
Reporting to the COO, this position is responsible for managing all communications, planning activities and building external relationships with the organization’s constituencies, including funders and the media. They will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate Volta’s mission. The Director of Communications will ensure that Volta is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within this diverse network and constituent base. The Director of Communications will work closely with a senior peer group within the organization as the communications partner for a variety of strategic initiatives, including the following:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the network’s discrete audiences in collaboration with the Volta team and constituents;
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action;
- Decide who, where, and when to disseminate;
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities;
- Mentor and lead a team member responsible for Volta’s website administration and coordination;
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly;
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time;
- Manage development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, e-newsletters, and Volta’s website;
- Coordinate and organize annual meetings that engage the network’s discrete audiences
- Manage all media contacts;
- Manage communications department; and
- Allocate resources and supplies to ensure staff and volunteers can complete their responsibilities to their highest potential.
Why is Volta such a great place to work? Hear what the team says –
“It’s definitely very dynamic. We don’t have bureaucracy here. We get things done fast and we don’t compromise on the quality. We believe that we can make the impossible possible by setting goals, being focused and working hard.” – Xijie Wu, Administrative Coordinator
“My work is interesting and I’m constantly learning. I also love the flexibility I have. This is not a 9-5 place and is results oriented so I am able to have a schedule that works for my life.” – Laurie Vaughan, Controller
“No two days at Volta are ever the same. That’s my favorite thing because I don’t like having a repetitive day, there is always something different or new happening here.” – Sahil Ahuja, Events Coordinator
“Working at Volta is a lifestyle. The more you put into it the more you get from it.. If someone treats working at Volta as a 9-5, they won’t be successful as you need to be in it for the startups and that means working outside of regular business hours from time to time. Founders work all the time on their businesses and we want hustlers to be supporting our founders.” – Scott Rairdan, Events Coordinator
“Volta’s culture is one of innovation and collaboration. To be a part of the team, you have to be prepared to roll your sleeves up and adapt to the different things that come your way. There’s never a dull moment.” – Meghann Coleman, Startup Services Manager
“The team at Volta is like a family. Everyone relies on one another, and we know how to have fun together too. We’re all willing to do whatever it takes to make things happen, in true startup fashion!” – Jenn Earle, PR Manager
“Volta is a great opportunity to introduce yourself to the entire startup community. You’ll be rubbing elbows with proven founders and young, motivated entrepreneurs. If you want to travel down the startup-focused career path, Volta is a great place to be.” – Josh Gallant, Marketing Coordinator
“Volta’s culture could be described as a team of visionaries. The vision is always forward-oriented and focused on the bigger picture. Anyone involved with Volta wears their part of this movement proudly on their shoulder.” – Gabe Roy, Operations Assistant
Ready to join us?
Volta offers a competitive salary and benefits package. NOTE: Please merge your cover letter and CV into one .pdf document and apply in confidence by 5:00 pm, August 4, 2017 to (note Communications Director in the subject line of your email):
Attention: Human Resources
Volta Labs Inc.
701 – 1505 Barrington Street
Halifax, NS B3J 3K5
We thank all candidates for their interest, but only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.