Volta, the Halifax-based innovation hub for entrepreneurs and innovators, is expanding our events team. We are looking for an enthusiastic, and detail-oriented person to join our dynamic team and gain invaluable experience working for Canada’s East Coast Innovation Hub.
What kind of people will succeed at Volta? People who care about our entrepreneurs, get fully on board with our mission—to help tech companies start, grow and succeed—and work cooperatively with the entire Volta team to build the region’s innovation ecosystem. We’re looking for someone who thinks big but is also ready to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty. Every day at Volta is different. We need individuals that are comfortable working in an environment where change is the status quo.
Reporting to the Event Manager, we are looking for an enthusiastic and outgoing person to assist with event execution. We need a self-starter who is comfortable working on their own, as at smaller events you will be the only event staff on site. Hours of work are 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
The Events Assistant will be responsible for the following:
- Assist with reception duties in our very busy main event space
- Help with events from conception to clean-up and ensure things run smoothly and efficiently
- Establish, maintain and build relationships with external partners and industry stakeholders
- Assist in the planning and execution of regular founder-focused events, investor events, and pitch competitions
- Work with the events team to plan and execute large scale marquee events (hackathons, game jams, demo events, conferences and Volta Cohort)
- Help work out event details and plan logistics (scout and book locations, catering, entertainment, volunteers, cleanup, etc.)
- Help create budgets and stick to them – or find creative ways to come in under budget
- Organize transportation, hire and wrangle keynote speakers or celebrities, hire A/V teams and rent equipment
- Support the team with marketing and promotional activities for events
What are the required skills?
- Personable, presentable, articulate & able to work effectively with a team
- Self-starter – must be comfortable working alone between 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm
- Strong communication skills and the ability to communicate complex ideas
- Effective project management skills
- Proficient computer skills
- Strong administrative and organizational abilities
- Ability to multi-task and juggle multiple priorities
Please merge your cover letter and CV into one .pdf document and apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org in confidence by 5:00 pm, February 8, 2019. Please note “Event Assistant” in the subject line.
Attention: Human Resources – Volta Labs Inc.
We thank all candidates for their interest, but only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Also published on Medium.